Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Beginning

So, it's only taken me about 4 hours (and counting...) to figure out how this whole blog thing works. Now, no one will ever accuse me of being a technology wiz and this whole online journal thing only furthers the point. I started this blog to document my time spent down in Central America on a long-term mission work experience. I've also set up this blog in the hopes that it will be a good way of staying in touch with family and friends back in the States and around the world through entries, pictures, updates, etc. It will be my story, the only way I know how to tell it...through my eyes. I'll be leaving December 31st to spend six months in Nicaragua working with Project Chacocente. You can check out the site here: www.outofthedump.org. I stumbled upon Chacocente through my church (Hurlbut UMC) which became involved in Chacocente a few years ago and members of our congregation make annual trips down there to volunteer. I decided to take a semester off and volunteer, too. And a year later... here I am.

On a more season-related note, my pastor gave a sermon today on the birth of Christ. It's a story I've heard thousands of times. The King of Kings born in a hay-filled manger in the presence of animals and awe-filled shepherds. But as I listened, for maybe the 1,001 time, it occured to me how truly miraculous the Christmas story is. It's like hearing a joke that you've heard a thousand times, and then you hear it one more time and you suddenly remember why you liked it in the first place. I mean, as if the birth of the Son of God in a stuffy and crowded manger isn't phenomenal enough, you have the story of Joseph and Mary. Joseph, the faithful and probably slight confused husband. And Mary, the faithful follower, the child-bearing virgin, the mother of the Son of God, probably a little confused and a little annoyed, riding on the back of a donkey, pregnant and uncomfortable and being told time after time "Sorry, there's no room here." When the angel told her she was bearing the Son of God and to not be afraid, she just nodded and trusted in God's plan. She never complained. She just did it. And in the long, difficult, ridicule-ridden, and probably uncomfortable months following, she never questioned God's authority. She just let God lead and followed faithfully. She just said, "Okay." She left it up to God, and I can't help but think maybe there's a lesson in this for all of us. I know there is for me and it's never been so relevant because now God is calling me to step forward, onto paths unknown, and all he's asking from me is to just trust Him. To just say "Okay." To Fear Not. It's harder than it sounds, but I know it'll be okay. I'm not sure what's going to happen tomorrow, or in the days and weeks to come, but God has already taken care of it. And for me, that's enough.

Okay, okay. I'll get off my high horse now. I don't need to tell you the story. You've heard it a thousand different times, too. But my prayer for you, in this crazy, chaotic, and noise-filled season, is that you find the miracle in the story. The peace among the noise. The gift that we have been given, yet again, in the birth of Christ. I know times have been a little harder lately, with the state of the economy and the fast-paced world we live in, but it's in times like these, when faith is a little harder to keep, that we must remember to Fear Not. I hope this Christmas season find you relaxed, surrounded by loved ones, and blessed. I know that's what I am.

Now, I believe I've been procrastinating long enough. I've even put off procrastinating, which just goes to show you how lazy I am. I have about eight loads of laundry to do and a whole lot of packing left. I also get to hear my mom ask, for maybe the 23rd time this week, "Now, are you sure you have everything?"

I'm sitting here at my computer, listening to something clank around in the dryer and watching the snow fall silently and gracefully out of the winter. It's cold outside. And windy, too. And it's hard to imagine that in a little more than a week I will be wearing shorts and a t-shirt in 80 degree weather. My world is about to flip upside down, in ways both exciting and scary, and I can't wait. But for now, I think I'll just go downstairs, help mom make some cookies, listen to Amy Grant, and watch the snow fall.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

"And lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Matthew 28: 20

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forgive my paraphrasing of this, Lord, but "this is my beloved daughter, in whom I am WELL PLEASED"! What an awesome thing you are about to do, Regan, an incredible journey you are about to undertake, and I know without a doubt that both you and the world will be better off for it! I love you and will miss you dearly.....
All my love, dad.

Maddie said...

okay first of all you are fantastic. second of all your dad is adorable. third of all.. make that 90 degree weather. fourth of all (are you even supposed to keep going with of alls after 3?) you don't have everything. but most everything you can get here. i am so happy you're coming.. enjoy your last days in snow! see you sooon!

Anonymous said...

Reggie! I'm so excited for you. I really wish I was going with you...maybe one day I will. But, have a blast, get a tan, and learn as much as you can. Love you always, C

"I carry your heart with me. I carry it in my heart. I am never without it. Anywhere I go, you go my dear; and whatever is done by only me is your doing, my darling. I fear no fate, for you are my fate, my sweet. I want no world, for beautiful you are my world, my true. And it's you are whatever a moon has always meant ans whatever a sun will always sing is you. Here is the deepest secret nobody knows, here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which gows higer than the soul can hope or mind can hide. And this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart. I carry your heart (I carry it in my heart) -ee cummings

xoxo

John said...

Hey Beans!

Well, mom and I made it back from the airport about an hour ago, and I just noticed you landed in Cleveland about 40 minutes late - not bad for a day like this!

It's neat to think that you left blowing snow and temperatures slightly above zero to arrive tonight in a place where it will probably be in the 80's! Awesome!

I love you Regan - can't wait to hear from you from Tipitapa, and remember - what's inside you is PRECIOUS!

ILY, dad

John said...

Well - I feel so much better now that you called us from Houston! As I write this you are traveling southward over the Gulf of Mexico at 35,000 feet at 517 mph! It says you'll be landing in Managua in 1 hour 52 minutes! WOW!!!

It's cold here Beans - will be down in the single digits, but its neat to think that in, well, 1 hr and 52 min, you'll be stepping into 80 deg temperatures!

Anyway, I'll continue to write - I think this was such a great thing for you to put together, this blog-thang!

I can't wait to hear from you again, but in the meantime - Happy New Year!!! Don't party too hardy - at least not on the first night....I'm sure you'll be tired!

And remember Beans - healthcare.

:)
dad

John said...

Reggie - one last post for the night, but the flight tracker said you just landed in Managua! It's 10 pm here and cold, and 9pm there and warm!

I Love You! You are blessed to be a blessing!

John said...

Well - you made it, kid! It was great hearing from you a few minutes ago! So glad to hear your host family is nice and you have a nice room! Send us a pic, Beans! Hope to talk to you soon!

Buenos noches!

Anonymous said...

Ok, Beaner. Oh wait, should I be posting that loving name I have for you for all to see? Since dad is blowing up your comment section, I'm going to break his streak and write something. Are you tan yet? Betch. Hope you're having fun and don't pekipsie in your shorts. Love you.
C

PS-John Travolta's son died. Sad, huh. Someone's gotta fill you in on American gossip. MEEEEE! xoxo

John said...

so what does "pekipsie" mean??? :)

Good to hear from you last night - Omar was funny (though he made me a little nervous at first!)

Have a wonderful day and eat some rice and beans for me!

Love ya! dad

John said...

Hola Beanie!

Mom said she heard from you by phone briefly today! Can't wait to hear from you again (either email or phone!) Miss ya, and can't wait to see ya!

Amore, papa

Robin said...

Well Regan, we all miss you at Wegmans but are very proud of you and the journey you have taken. I can understand why your family and friends are proud too! I will try to keep in touch and will keep my eye on Mr. Y!
Robin