Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I Bless the Rains Down In Africa

Okay, first of all, I just want to express my gratitude and love for everyone that reads and comments on this blog. You guys are amazing, and I know I wouldnt be able to do what Im doing without your love and support. It is always so wonderful to read your comments and thoughts. Thank you thank you thank you! I love you guys!

Well, I will try to avoid making this entire blog about food like I did in the last one (sorry about that...) but food really is a big thing here. At least for me. Maybe its because Im American and we tend to revolve our lives around food. The fruit here is amazing and Im told I will be blown away by the mangoes when the mango season starts in Feb. I. Cant. Wait.
Over the past weekend, Maddie and Isaac and I made a trip to the Managua mall. It was waaay cool. I think mainly it was just kind of a solace to be in an pretty organized, somewhat air-conditioned building after walking through chaotic markets in 80 degree weather. The stores were kind of similar to American stores (they have cell phone places, coffee places, bookstores, dept. stores, etc.) except for the store called Mens Fashion, which only sold Womens clothing. Hmmm. Im still trying to translate the culture here, but Im learning some things just are the way they are. For lunch, I had two slices of pepperoni pizza. Im telling you this because OH.MY.GOSH. Pizza has never tasted so good. Yeah, It wasnt Lenas or Wegmans pizza (oh, how i miss that) but it was pizza nonetheless. A taste of home. Its funny, the things that remind us of home when we are miles away. Nothing like pizza to cure temporary homesickness.
Thats another thing. Homesickness. There are periods where I do feel homesick, but then I realize that Im only here for five-ish more months and when I get home Im going to be homesick for this place so its all about being right here, right now, living in this very moment in this incredible place.

On a completely random (kind of) note, I met another American at the Project yesterday. His name is Keith and hes from Cincinnati. His wife is a nurse and she is a part of an organization called Brendas House of Hope, which specializes in taking care of kids with disabilities through physical therapy and other activites. Way cool. There is definitely a need for that kind of thing down here, especially since many families dont have the means for medical attention. Keith isnt a medical guy, so he visits the Project and helps out with various tasks. In July, hes taking a youth group to Chacocente to help paint a wall in the school. Its really neat to see people from all over come to this Project, whether they are just passing through or staying. From my experience, everyone Ive talked to or heard about thats been associated with the Project in one aspect or another agrees that this is, in fact, a magical place. I know that I am falling in love with this country.

On another completely random note, my next door neighbors really like American music. And the really good stuff, too, like Toto, and Tarzan Boy, and Men at Work. Its kind of fun to hear 80s music in Nicaragua. But this place has its own unique soundtrack, too. Its like you shut one radio off just to hear another song playing somewhere else. Walking through the streets is like flippinig stations on a radio. And everything here is magnified. There is almost always noise. Cars honk at everything. People play their music loud enough for Austrailians to hear. Whistles. Shouting. Its great. Im also learning how to play the guitar. Abuelito (my host grandpa) plays with his grandson Luís sometimes. Abuelito taught me how to play Happy Birthday and Luís is teaching me how to play Dust in the Wind.

Theres almost always something to do here and when there isnt, then down time is okay too. Im laerning that the concept of time is a little different here than in the States. Ten minutes can mean an hour and later is VERY relative. Its a culture thing, though. Things just move slower down here and maybe I can learn something from that...

Anyway, its dinner time and Im hungry and I have a lot more verses of Dust in the Wind to learn.

Ill post pictures here this weekend. I promise!

More to come....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Regan- It's so wonderful to be able to share this experience with you via your blog. It sounds like you are just soaking it all in- how wise!
Enjoy "cada dia"-
and take care,
Robin (M.)

Kristin said...

ahhhhhh!! Real Guitar? so awesome! oohh Guitar Hero days...you can show us all up now. :)
<3

Unknown said...

I miss you!! Im so glad you are able to wirte through this its amazing to see what your doing, have done and all that!!