Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Sunburned Country


So, I've finally passed the one week mark of being in Nicaragua. It has been such a crazy week that it feels more like lots and lots of weeks piled into one. Saying goodbye to my parents in the airport felt like years ago (well, it was 2008) and I can't believe it's already the 10th.Nicaragua is, for lack of a better word, amazing. I'm still in the adjustment phase where nothing seems easy and everything seems foreign, but I've been told that's normal. Today, I went over to Maddie's house. She's the other volunteer here and she's staying in a town called Sabana Grande, which lies just on the outskirts of Managua. There's a lot to do here. On our walk from the bus stop today we stopped at Eskimo Ice Cream and I got a jumbo cone because I have been deprived of ice cream since Christmas. It tasted a little different, but ice cream is ice cream right? I may have to stop and get another cone on my way back to Tipitapa tomorrow.
The food here is pretty good. Rice and beans are a staple at almost every meal, and they also have plantains. Plantains look like bananas but don't taste anything like bananas. They are pretty good, though. They grow a lot of foods here. Bananas. Plantains. Pineapple. Watermelon. Peanuts. All the good stuff. I have to admit that I've been craving some American food, like pizza. Mac and cheese. Even yogurt. Things I took for granted in the States.
Anyway, I'll report more here later this week and I promise I'll write about more than just the food and weather. I'm also hoping to download some pictures on here pretty soon. Until then....

4 comments:

John said...

Beans (oro blanco)- how about a Ben & Jerry's franchise in Tipitapa!?

amor, papa

Robin said...

Wegmans pizza is at the top of your list I bet!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Regan -
You blessed, fearless, brave, faith-filled child of God -
I greatly enjoyed reading your blog and look forward to future "visits". I didn't know you had such wisdom (although I suspected it early on) nor such an effective style of writing.
I, however, do not have the words to express what I am thinking/feeling right now other than to say it is an honor to know you. I pray for you (almost) every morning and whenever else during the day. No doubt you are spreading God's love and joy to the beautiful people of Nicaraugua. You have such an open heart and open face, I bet you made it easy for them to welcome you and they are quickly on their way to loving you, if they don't already.
I smiled when I read about the little boy who played with your hair. You used to do that to me and it always made me feel like so special.

I am praying for more of God's peace and joy for you, and for bathroom mercies.

Love,
Lorraine (Auntie Beaner)

Julie said...

sure wish I could box ya up a pizza and sneak ya a beer! tee-hee....miss ya